INFORMATION WE COLLECT
How we collect and store information depends on how you access and use the Platform. We collect information in multiple ways including when you provide information directly to us, when you permit third parties to provide information to us, and when we passively collect information from you, such as information collected from your browser or device.
Information You Provide Directly to Us
We may collect information from you during your use or access of the Platform, such as:
- When you register for an Account;
- When you participate in polls or surveys;
- When you enrol for electronic newsletters;
- When you request a quote or other information;
- When you submit or respond to a quote;
- When you make a purchase;
- When you fill out any forms;
- When you enter sweepstakes or contest or register for a promotion;
- When you transmit User Content;
- When you otherwise communicate with us or other users through the Platform.
The information you provide directly to us may concern you or others and may include, but is not limited to:
- email address;
- home or business telephone number;
- home, business or mailing address;
- demographic information (e.g., gender, age, race or ethnic origin, and other information relevant to user surveys and/or offers);
- date of birth;
- insurance information;
- information about your project, home, request or need;
- video or audio files;
(l) in certain circumstances, payment and/or identity verification information; and/or (m) any other content you include in communications with other users through the Platform or communications with us. It may also include information specific to Services you are requesting or offering through the Platform, such as a business name, Business description, qualifications and credentials. You are not required to provide us with such information, but certain features of the Platform may not be accessible or available, absent the provision of the requested information.
Information from Affiliates, Social Networking Sites, and other Non-affiliated Third Parties
We may collect information about you or others through What affiliates or through non-affiliated third parties. For example, you may be able to access the Platform through a social networking account, such as Facebook. If you access the Platform through your Facebook account, you may allow us to have access to certain information in your Facebook profile. This may include your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user IDs, list of friends, location, date of birth, email address, photos, videos, people you follow and/or who follow you, and/or your posts or "likes." Social networking sites, such as Facebook, have their own policies for handling your information. For a description of how these sites may use and disclose your information, including any information you make public, please consult the sites' privacy policies. We have no control over how any third-party site uses or discloses the personal information it collects about you.
We may collect information about you or others through non-affiliated third parties. For example, to the extent permitted by law, we may, in our sole discretion, ask for and collect supplemental information from third parties, such as information about your credit from a credit bureau, or information to verify your identity or trustworthiness, or for other fraud or safety protection purposes. We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from such third parties and information derived from any other products or Services we provide.
Through non-affiliated third parties, we may also collect information that demonstrates the occurrence of an off-platform communication between a Customer Member and a Business Member in order to ensure accurate charging of fees imposed upon Business Members and to enforce the Terms and Conditions. Except as explicitly stated herein, we will not collect or store the contents of any off-platform communication between a Customer Member and a Business Member.
If you send text messages with a Customer Member or Business Member using the telephone number for that Member available on the Platform, we may use a third-party Business provider to track these text messages. We track these text messages for fraud prevention, to ensure appropriate charging of Fees, to enforce these Terms, and for quality and training purposes. As part of this process, What and its Business provider will receive in real-time and store data about your text message, including the date and time of the text message, your phone number, and the content of the text message.
Information That is Passively or Automatically Collected
Location Information. When you use the Platform, we may collect general location information (such as IP address). We may use that information to improve the Platform, including providing you with location-based features (e.g. for identification of Business available near you). To deliver customized content and advertising, we may share your location information with our agents, vendors, or advertisers.
We may also use local shared objects (also known as "Flash cookies") to assist in delivering special content, such as video clips or animation. Flash cookies are stored on your device, but they are not managed through your web browser. To learn more about how to manage Flash cookies, you can visit the Adobe website and make changes at the Global Privacy Settings Panel.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but your browser may allow you to modify your browser settings to decline cookies if you prefer. If you disable cookies, you may be prevented from taking full advantage of the Platform, because it may not function properly. Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser may not affect flash cookies. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
HOW WHAT USES THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use your information for any of the following reasons:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To enable you to use the Services available through the Platform, including registering you for our Services and verifying your identity and authority to use our Services;
- For customer support and to respond to your inquiries;
- For internal record-keeping purposes;
- To administer surveys, sweepstakes, promotions, or contests;
- To track fees and process billing and payment including sharing with third-party payment gateways and payment Business providers in connection with the Platform;
- To improve and maintain the Platform and for product development;
- To address fraud or safety concerns, or to investigate complaints or suspected fraud or wrongdoing;
- To periodically send promotional emails regarding new products from What, special offers from What, or other information that may interest you;
- With your consent, to contact you by text message regarding certain Services or information you have requested;
- With your consent, to contact you by telephone or text message regarding Platform features, improvements, or other products and services that may interest you;
- For What's market research purposes, including, but not limited to, the customization of the Platform according to your interests;
- To contact you about goods and services that may interest you or with information about your use of the Platform;
- For other research and analytical purposes; and
- To resolve disputes, to protect ourselves and other users of the Platform, and to enforce any legal terms that govern your use of the Platform.
We may display information related to your business, including your name or your business’s name, publicly on your profile, except to the extent we tell you we will not display such information. If the information you provide us upon signing up for an account differs from the information you provide us as part of the verification data we collect, we have sole discretion in determining which information will be displayed publicly on your profile. We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from affiliated and non-affiliated third parties, and information derived from any other products or Businesses we provide. We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Platform. We may use de-identified or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties, including without limitation, advertisers, promotional partners, sponsors, event promoters, and/or others.
We may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide Business to us, review, scan, or analyse your communications with other users exchanged via the Platform or as otherwise described in this Policy for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we may scan and analyse messages to prevent fraud or improper actions. We may also scan, review, or analyse messages for research and product development purposes, as well as to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. By using the Platform or engaging in off-platform communications tracked by What, you consent that What, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyse, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
WHEN WHAT DISCLOSES YOUR INFORMATION
Unless otherwise described in this Policy, we may also share the information that we collect from you through the Platform as follows:
- Affiliates. We may share your information with any What affiliates.
- Consent. We may disclose your information to non-affiliated third parties based on your consent to do so. Such consent includes the disclosure of your information:
- in order to provide Services or products that you have requested (please see below for more details);
- when we have your permission; or
- as described in this Policy, the Terms and Conditions, or any other legal terms governing your use of the Platform.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to your information to select third parties who perform Businesses on our behalf. These third parties provide a variety of services to us including without limitation billing, sales, marketing, advertising, market research, fulfilment, data storage, analysis and processing, identity verification, fraud, and safety protections, and legal services. As we retain new Service, we generally seek contractual assurances from these Service providers that they will not use your information in any manner other than to help us provide you with the Business and products available from What.
- Legal Requirements We may disclose your information when required by law or when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to:
- comply with subpoenas, court orders, or other legal processes we receive;
- establish or exercise our legal rights including enforcing and administering agreements with users; or
- defend What against legal claims. If we are required by law to disclose your information, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you unless
- we believe in our sole discretion that providing notice could create a risk of injury or death, or that harm or fraud could be directed to What or users; or
- we are precluded from providing notice by law. We will attempt to provide the notice by email if you have given us an email address. While you may challenge the disclosure request, please be advised we may still be legally required to turn over your information.
- Protection of What and Others. We may disclose your information to whomever necessary when we believe it appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of the Terms and conditions, or any other legal terms governing the use of the Platform, and/or to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of other users.
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge, or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such contemplated or actual transactions or where there is any change of control of What, user information may be among the shared and/or transferred assets.
Please be advised that some information you provide and/or that we collect will be publicly accessible. For instance, registration for an Account requires that you provide us with your name. If you register through Facebook, the Platform will use the name associated with your Facebook account. Your name (full name, or in some instances, your first name and last initial) may be visible to other users. Depending on the circumstances, your name may be attached to your Content or information, such as scheduling of Business, Business requests, reviews, participating in discussions or forums, messaging, and profile information. Certain other people, including other users with whom you have interacted via the Platform, will see information about you that is attached to your name. For example (but without limitation), if you are a Customer Member seeking Business, the description you provide of your desired Business, along with your name, will be shown to some Business Members registered in the relevant category along with your name. Thus, other users may be able to personally identify you based on the Content you provide. Similarly, the information we collect, including but not limited to when you last accessed the Platform, may be shared with other Members with whom you are interacting or otherwise made public.
We invite you to post Content on or through our Platform, including, but not limited to, your comments, pictures, Business Member profile, and any other information. However, please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. If you choose to post User Content on or through the Platform, such as through Member-to-Member messaging or through our review boards, forums, blogs, or other postings, that information: (a) may be or may become publicly available; (b) may be collected and used by third parties with or without our knowledge; and (c) may be used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
ONLINE ANALYTICS AND TAILORED ADVERTISING
We may use third-party web analytics services on the Platform, such as those of Google Analytics. These Business providers use the sort of technology described in the Information That Is Passively or Automatically Collected section above to help us analyse how users use the Platform, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive. The information collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these Service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Platform. We also use Google Analytics for certain purposes related to advertising, as described in the following section. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on.
Third parties whose products or services are accessible or marketed via the Platform may also place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, mobile phone, or other devices to collect information about your use of the Platform in order to:
- inform, optimize, and serve marketing content based on past visits to our websites and other sites and
If you are interested in more information about tailored browser advertising and how you can generally control cookies from being put on your computer to deliver tailored marketing, you may visit the Network Advertising Initiative's Consumer Opt-Out Link and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance's Consumer Opt-Out Link to opt-out of receiving tailored advertising from companies that participate in those programs. To opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page. Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Platform, you may still receive advertising content even if you opt-out of tailored advertising. In that case, the advertising content will just not be tailored to your interests. Also, we do not control any of the above opt-out links and are not responsible for any choices you make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms. If your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAA opt-out may no longer be effective. Additional information is available on NAI's and DAA's websites, accessible by the above links.
When using a mobile application you may also receive tailored in-application advertising content. Each operating system-iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices, and Windows for Microsoft devices-provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application marketing content. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertising. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
PRIVACY OF MINORS
Our Services are not designed for minors under 18. Only persons 18 years of age or older may use the Platform. If we discover that an individual under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will close the account and delete the personal information to the extent required by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. We may where permitted by law, retain certain information internally for purposes described in this Policy.
We employ physical, procedural, and technological security measures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure. What may use encryption, passwords, and physical security measures to help protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. No security measures, however, are 100% failsafe. Therefore, we do not promise and cannot guarantee, and thus you should not expect, that your personal information or communications will not be collected, disclosed, and/or used by others. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, keeping your log-in and password private, and not recycling passwords from other websites or accounts. What is not responsible for the unauthorized use of your information nor for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords, or for any activity on your Account via unauthorized password activity.
LINKS TO EXTERNAL PLATFORMS
The Platform may contain links to other websites or resources over which What does not have any control. Such links do not constitute an endorsement by What of those external websites. You acknowledge that What is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and further agree that What is not responsible for the content of such external websites or the protection and privacy of information you provide while visiting such external websites.
UPDATING, DELETING AND CORRECTING YOUR INFORMATION
We may send periodic emails to you. You may opt-out of promotional emails by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your Account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
We may monitor and record our telephone conversations with you for training and quality assurance purposes. You will be provided with a notice at the beginning of any call that is being recorded.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
THIS POLICY IS CURRENT AS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE SET FORTH BELOW. WHAT MAY, IN ITS SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION, CHANGE THIS POLICY AT ANY TIME. WHAT WILL POST ITS UPDATED POLICY ON THE PLATFORM, SEND YOU A MESSAGE OR OTHERWISE NOTIFY YOU WHEN YOU ARE LOGGED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT. WHAT ENCOURAGES YOU TO REVIEW THIS POLICY REGULARLY FOR ANY CHANGES. YOUR CONTINUED ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE PLATFORM WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE TERMS OF THE THEN-CURRENT POLICY.
CONSENT TO TRANSFER
Our computer systems are currently based in the United Kingdom, so your personal data will be processed by us in the United Kingdom. If you create an Account with the Platform as a visitor from outside the United Kingdom, by using the Platform, you agree to this Policy and you consent to the transfer of all such information to the United Kingdom.
Last Updated: November 26, 2020
What Are Cookies
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser (see your browser Help for how to do this). Be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of this site. Therefore it is recommended that you do not disable cookies.
The Cookies We Set
- Email newsletters related cookies. This site offers newsletter or email subscription services and cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered and whether to show certain notifications which might only be valid to subscribe/unsubscribed users.
- Orders processing related cookies This site offers e-commerce or payment facilities and some cookies are essential to ensure that your order is remembered between pages so that we can process it properly.
- Forms related cookies. When you submit data to through a form such as those found on contact pages or comment forms cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
- Site preferences cookies. In order to provide you with a great experience on this site, we provide the functionality to set your preferences for how this site runs when you use it. In order to remember your preferences, we need to set cookies so that this information can be called whenever you interact with a page is affected by your preferences.
- This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content. For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.
- Third-party analytics are used to track and measure usage of this site so that we can continue to produce engaging content. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site or pages you visit which helps us to understand how we can improve the site for you.
- From time to time we test new features and make subtle changes to the way that the site is delivered. When we are still testing new features these cookies may be used to ensure that you receive a consistent experience whilst on the site whilst ensuring we understand which optimisations our users appreciate the most.
- As our platform sell products, it's important for us to understand statistics about how many of the visitors to our site actually make a purchase and as such this is the kind of data that these cookies will track. This is important to you as it means that we can accurately make business predictions that allow us to monitor our advertising and product costs to ensure the best possible price.
- The Google AdSense service we use to serve to advertise uses a DoubleClick cookie to serve more relevant ads across the web and limit the number of times that a given ad is shown to you. For more information on Google AdSense see the official Google AdSense privacy FAQ.
- We use adverts to offset the costs of running this site and provide funding for further development. The behavioural advertising cookies used by this site are designed to ensure that we provide you with the most relevant adverts where possible by anonymously tracking your interests and presenting similar things that may be of interest.
- Several partners advertise on our behalf and affiliate tracking cookies simply allow us to see if our customers have come to the site through one of our partner sites so that we can credit them appropriately and where applicable allow our affiliate partners to provide any bonus that they may provide you for making a purchase.
- We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this site that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. We will set cookies through our site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
Hopefully, that has clarified things for you and as was previously mentioned if there is something that you aren't sure whether you need or not it's usually safer to leave cookies enabled in case it does interact with one of the features you use on our site.
However, if you are still looking for more information then you can contact us through one of our preferred contact methods:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org